Ben 10 Birthday Cake
When I am designing a new cake I like to gather all my ideas and resources together before I start.
I put all my images on one page and then take a screenshot. I have an iMac and I simply Preview/File/Take Screen Shot.
|Cake tin and cake boards
- 11.5″ diameter tin
- 11.5″ diameter thin card cake board. This board help you to move the cake around when you are decorating it and as the cake shrinks a little during baking, this board becomes a guide when ganaching. As you pull your spatula round the ganached cake to smooth it just press against the card board circle underneath as a guide and you will get the perfect thickness.
- 16″ diameter 6mm thick cake board. The cake will be heavy so you need a strong base. I use a pedestal base for this cake but I would normally have used a 6mm thick cake board.
Dark Chocolate Mud Cake (from Planet Cake Cookbook)
Ingredients for 11.5″ cake
359g dk choc
.8 tsp bicarb
11.4 tsp oil
Dark Chocolate Ganache
Ingredients for 11.5″ cake
1960g dark chocolate, finely chopped
980ml pure cream
GREY 1700g sugar-paste to cover entire cake and other bits and pieces.BLACK 500g cake details
GREEN 400g watch dial and trousers.
WHITE: No.5 and figurine top
FLESH: Face and hands
Dark Chocolate Mud Cake Method
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Grease the tin and line the base and sides with a collar that extends 2 cm above the top of the tin.
- Put the butter, chocolate, coffee and water in a saucepan and stir over low heat until melted, then remove from the heat.
- Sift the flours, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Add the combined egg, oil and buttermilk and the chocolate mixture, stirring with a large spoon until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 2 hours (for 11’5″cake) or until a skewer poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean, though it may be a little sticky. Leave the cake in the tin until cold.
Dark Chocolate Ganache Method
- Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl
- Put the cream in a saucepan and bring to boiling point. Pour the cream over the chopped chocolate and mix with a hand whisk until the ganache is smooth. (Do not use an electric whisk, as you will create too many air bubbles in the ganache.)
- Allow to cool completely and then leave to set overnight.
Wrap cake in foil and place in fridge overnight. (I use my bar fridge as the temperature is not too low)
Cut finger nails. There is nothing worse than making a mark with your long nails on your completed cake just before your guests arrive
Take cake out of fridge first thing in the morning and allow to come to room temp.
Torte and ganache cake then leave it to set.
Once set cover with sugar-paste.
Decorate and complete the job.
Stuff up day. You never know what might happen when making a cake so always pencil in a stuff up day.
The day of the party
|Ben 10 becomes Cameron 5
|I used Franklin Gothic Heavy font in photoshop to get as close to the Ben 10 font as I could. I had to make the letters broader and the spaces between each letter much smaller. I also moved some letters up and down to make the effect a little crooked. All of this was done in the ‘Character box’. I then duplicated the layer and added a stroke and a drop shadow. Too easy!
|Adding the lettering, one letter at a time.
This is stuff up day so if everything has gone to plan you can put your feet up!
|Figurine was made without Tylose powder. I forgot to buy some yet again. Baby Ben 10 would have looked so much better if I had added some of the Tylose powder to the sugar-paste.